Having trouble reading this? Translate it to your native language!

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Why VW? Addiction.

Happy Tree Friends
A person asked me on Friday, with very good reason, intrigue, and intoxication why VW owner's show such an undying and at times, chauvinistic affinity to an object, especially a classic VW Beetle.

That's why I'd quite like to debunk the thoughts today, but in a way show people a little insight into why I love classic VW's, especially Beetles and why I put up with tinkering, cursing, and breaking down both emotionally and by the roadside.

With my personal circumstance, my family has surrounded Volkswagen's for years, ever since my parents were my age. The cars back in the day were relatively cheap and easy to pick up as 10,000,000 original classic Beetles were built in Wolfsburg, Germany and are widely regarded as the desirable models, even in their cheapest times. 20 years ago, it would be akin to buying a P reg Corsa in the modern day with about 300x more character because no one likes Corsa's, or at least they shouldn't.

This doesn't mean I'm snobbish of other road users, although they do have it easy with their heated cabins, reliable motors, and electric windows. However, what attached me to a Beetle was being surrounded by the cars, parts, oil, dirt, etc which is why I caught the bug of owning VW's, which has since ballooned into a full on habit with three projects and two finished cars for my dad. Twinned with cheaper insurance, it seemed like a good idea to purchase a Beetle!

Since then, I got more and more involved in restoring our projects and I realised the coolest thing about owning a Bug is definitely the ability to pour all of your character and style into designing a car which is almost impossible with modern cars. We can change the seat type, colour of the seats, interior, cool accessories and just about everything in

between, even the engine! I won't reveal anything in terms of what we're doing with our interior for cars such as Lennon and will be kept under wraps until the Big Bug Reveal later next month! But what I can say is, for the people that know me, I'm a quirky character by nature and have subtle differences that make me stand out from the rest. These projects will undoubtedly show my family's vision, flair, and quirkiness.

More importantly, why do we love VW's? Because we're around them virtually everyday. These ageing guys and girls have a heart, just like a child or your beloved pet and it beats slowly and needs to be looked after and given a bit of care. Beetle's look happy on the road and always dejected off it, pleading for someone to restore them back to former glory. To some, I'm tinkering with inanimate objects and that's fine but to other's, it's a lot more than that. It really is a way of life because we all become immersed in our projects and to see them pass the MOT is like seeing your kid passing their final exams. It's an achievement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll