Having trouble reading this? Translate it to your native language!

Wednesday 31 December 2014

2014: 100,000 visits. 87 posts, 10 shows, 7 Beetles, 5 websites/magazines, 2 cover stories, 1 loyal family.

Credit: Aaron Slater. I miss my beard.
100,000 visits. 87 posts, 7 Beetles, 5 websites/magazines, 2 cover stories, 1 loyal family. A memoir about 2014 a very huge, global nutshell.

Thank you all.

2014 has given me the most wonderful memories, and I have finally been able to lay to rest the hope that the succeeding year will be a better one. In the 20 years I have graced this Earth to wish for I have witnessed some good, but mainly a lot of turmoil. 2014 has the eternal accolade of being a year where I have been able to look back, smile and have a hint of disappointment that it was all over.

Like a Blockbuster movie (which we saw the remnants and dust of the VHS rental chain at the beginning of 2014 mind you), it had it all. Guns, Boobs, Glamour, the LOT!

So before you all scroll down, get bored and have a look at the pictures, I want to thank each and every one of you who has been involved in the build process for not only Lennon but all the other Beetle's throughout the year. So Elliot the transportation man, Doug, Dale, VW Heritage for Parts (who I now work for!), and my beloved family I thank you all for ensuring this madness was built to last.

Also, I want to say thanks to everyone who gave me a shot in writing. That would be Kate Bedward from ClassicVolks.com, Jason from the legendary Rothfink who allowed me to get the contact to meet Ig at VW Vibe for my first ever story in a VW Magazine, which only then gone and hit the cover on my first attempt.

It only paid off because from there, I hit the big time for me in the form of a gig writing for Ultra VW which again culminated in another front cover (albeit not the feature) for November 2014's issue. I am unbelievably stoked about that and I always will be.

But mainly it was a year where my skills and talents started to show through. Writing. How was it possible? Like most success stories of course... by doing bugger all at your workplace.

From the VW side, I wasn't in my poster boy Lennon at the beginning of the year but rather his predecessor, McCartney. 2014 was suffice to say in the early months, very rotten as McCartney, a 1968 Beetle, wasn't the most co-operative of cars. Frequently breaking down was his thing and although he served me a few thousand miles and a brilliant photoshoot by my very good friend, lover, and confidante* (no homo) Aaron Slater before his engine finally got the better of me on the biggest day of all...

Lennon, the blessing in disguise...

Lennon, a 1967 Beetle which are one of the most sought after Beetle's around was an absolute pig to restore and an absolute money pit for all of us involved. However, this car has brought us immense joy and he will be a servant to the team for years to come I am certain. All hail Lennon!

2 engine changes, a respray, many long nights, tears and bloodshed.

Here was the transformation:


2014 also showed us that my dad has a brilliant knack for being the ultimate photobomber. 
More than just a new set of rims and a respray. Believe me.
The VW family grew very strong in 2014 and Lennon and McCartney weren't the only boys in the team.

We welcomed Parker who was our small project and left in April 2014.

We wish Parker well wherever you are!
April marked another addition, the coolest of all, Jake Bugg!

A fun fact that Lennon was the original concept for Jake Bugg (and most of the finances too). Suffice to say Jake is still in the state he was purchased at, albeit a lot more solid!



We also said hello to Sting! Originally dubbed the Silver Hornet, he is my other car that has yet to be completed. Although this dear boy does run now which is pretty amazing after 18 years of being stagnant on a driveway at his previous owner. 

Expect more of him in 2015.


Last but certainly not least, we welcomed The Swede into our wonderful family of Bugs! Not a lot really needs to be said about The Swede, he just looks incredible.

Best of all, the only one to stick through it all in 2014? Loyal Doris.


SEE YOU ALL IN 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogroll